Friday 14 March 2014

BLACK SOCIAL HISTORY : AFRO-AUSTRALIAN " PETER YAGMOOR " A SMOOTH LEFT FOOTER WHO IS BEST SUITED TO THE HALF BACK FLANK OR CENTER WING : GOES INTO THE " HALL OF BLACK GENIUS "

                                        BLACK                   SOCIAL                 HISTORY                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   A smooth left footer who is best suited to the half back flank or centre wing. Yagmoor, who began his career on Collingwood's senior list before being moved to the rookie list at the end of 2012, took great strides at the back end of last year and was one of the VFL Magpies' most improved players by season's end. His kicking and decision making in defence are undoubtedly his biggest weapons while his ability to combine defence and attack became more noteworthy as 2013 wore on. Yagmoor, who has both Lebanese and Indigenous blood running through his veins, was born and raised in Cairns but moved to Brisbane in 2008. He will be seeking to break through and add to his two senior games at some stage in 2014.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     IN a sport full of extraordinary stories, Collingwood recruit Peter Yagmoor's tale may be unique.
At first glance, the half-back's yarn is dime-a-dozen: talented kid taps into junior pathway and finds his way to the big city.
Dig a little deeper and it is apparent Yagmoor mixes extraordinary talent with a heavy burden.
It is apparent in the key ring he carries with him to remind him of his mother Bttina's death as a result of diabetes in 2006.
And in the way he speaks about Adam Goodes, hoping he, too, can do his Aboriginal heritage proud.
Then mix in his Lebanese heritage through his father, Anthony, and you start to get a sense of his amazing, and sometimes harrowing, story.
Collingwood effectively acquired Yagmoor, 18, for nothing, giving pick 47 to Gold Coast and getting back 50 after the Suns pre-listed him last year as a Queensland zone selection.
Yagmoor has a left foot that Pies recruiter Derek Hine says may make him one of the competition's best kicks, so he has the talent to match the turbulent back story.
"My old man was born here in Melbourne and lived in Bentleigh and moved to Cairns and met my mum and had me up there, and I have lived in Cairns and Brisbane ever since," Yagmoor said.
"I have never heard of any other (footballer) who is Lebanese and indigenous, but I am pretty proud of my Lebanese and indigenous culture."
Yagmoor's grandfather moved from Lebanon after World War II, with father Anthony later moving north to Cairns. He met wife Bttina in an indigenous community, Hopevale, 200km north of Cairns, but the family moved away when Peter was three.
Yagmoor quickly emerged as a talented footballer, but his mother was struggling with diabetes.
Eventually he moved to boarding school in Brisbane before being snared by the Suns.
"It was pretty tough, but I guess I had to keep working hard at school and footy to take my mind off it (his mother's death)," he said.
"Obviously when you are lying in bed you are still thinking about her, but you don't want to talk about it too much because it will bring you down.
"I have always got this little key ring of her picture with me in it, and always carry that around in my footy bag wherever I went. It gives me that bit of motivation.
"Dad realised pretty early there wasn't much going on at Hopevale, so me, him and my mum made the move to Cairns. I got a scholarship to continue schooling in Brisbane at age 16 and took my chances again and ended up here."
Yagmoor will play off half back or the wing, hoping to use his pace and left foot to his advantage.
"I like the half back flank and the wing because of the space to use my skills. I like getting into space and chasing people from behind and tackling. Hopefully I will end up doing that next year."











































































No comments:

Post a Comment