Tuesday, 22 October 2013


                               BLACK                SOCIAL                 HISTORY                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   El Hadji Ousseynou Diouf  born 15 January 1981  is a Senegalese footballer who plays for Leeds United. He can play on both wings as well as in attack.
Having started his professional football career in France with Sochaux, Rennes and Lens, his performances in the 2002 FIFA World Cup for Senegal prompted a move to Premier League side Liverpool later that summer. He has also played in England's top flight for Bolton Wanderers, Sunderland and Blackburn Rovers before a stint in the Scottish Premier League with Rangers. In 2011 he joined Football League Championship side Doncaster Rovers but was released at the end of the 2011–12 season following the club's relegation. During his nine-year international career he scored 21 goals in 69 caps; he has also garnered a large amount of notoriety for a series of controversial incidents.

Early life]

Born in Dakar, Senegal, Diouf came from a Serer background of the noble Diouf family. His father, who was also a footballer, left when he was 8 years old. Raised by his grandparents, Diouf was reunited with his father after a 22-year absence. Although they did not see each other for many years, Diouf is reported to have said his father is someone he loves very much and was happy to see him again in spite of not growing up with him.[3]

Club career

Early career]

Diouf started his career in France with Sochaux-Montbéliard. He made his debut appearance in a 2–1 win against Bastia on 12 November 1998, before moving to Rennes for the 1999–2000 season. He moved to Lens the following season, spending two years at the Pas-de-Calais club before moving to English club Liverpool in 2002 for a fee of £10 million.


Signed in 2002 for £10m by Gérard Houllier after impressive performances for Senegal in the 2002 World Cup where they reached the quarter finals,[4] Diouf was the striker Houllier hoped would take the Premier League title from Manchester United, after Liverpool had finished in second place the previous season. Diouf won praises for his early games for Liverpool including his first game at Anfield where he scored two goals, his first for the club, in a 3–0 win against Southampton on 24 August 2002. Phil Thompson said of Diouf: "He has got incredible potential. What has warmed him to everyone is his workrate. It is astonishing. For a right midfield player he tracks back and attacks. He chases back and he harries and tackles and the fans have really warmed to him".[5]
Fans had to wait until March 2003 for Diouf's next goal for Liverpool, in a 2–0 win against Bolton Wanderers, in a game where he scored once and provided the assist for the second. The next game saw Diouf play in a UEFA Cup match against Celtic at Parkhead which finished 1–1. The game marked a watershed in his career when, in the 87th minute, he spat at a Celtic fan causing crowd disturbances and Diouf to be interviewed by the police.Houllier told him 'The stigma of what you did will follow you round for the rest of your career. You'll never live it down.[7] He received a two match ban and was fined two weeks wages with Liverpool making a donation of £60,000 to a Glasgow charity of Celtic's choice. He failed to score for the remainder of the 2002–03 season or at all in the 2003–04 season which saw him pick up 13 yellow and one red card which came on 7 January 2004 when he was sent-off in a 1–0 away win against Chelsea for fouling Adrian Mutu. By then he had become unpopular due to both his attitude and his lack of goals. Jamie Carragher later said of him "He has one of the worst strike rates of any forward in Liverpool history. He's the only no. 9 ever to go through a whole season without scoring, in fact he's probably the only no. 9 of any club to do that. He was always the last one to get picked in training."[5] At the beginning of the 2004–5 season he was loaned to Bolton Wanderers. At the end of the season-long loan and after scoring a mere six goals in 80 appearances with only three in the league, he left Liverpool signing permanently for Bolton in the summer of 2005.

Bolton Wanderers[edit]

Bolton Wanderers bought Diouf from Liverpool for an undisclosed fee at the start of the 2005/06 season, after they had loaned the player for the 2004/05 season. On 15 September 2005, Diouf scored Bolton's first ever goal in a European competition against Lokomotiv Plovdiv in a UEFA Cup match at the Reebok Stadium. Bolton went on to win the game 2–1. He was largely successful at Bolton and became a fans' favourite due to his flair and direct running. Diouf confirmed in an interview with the BBC that he would be leaving Bolton at the end of the 2007/08 season and that his goal against Sunderland on 3 May marked his last appearance at the Reebok Stadium.[11]


Diouf signed for Sunderland on 28 July 2008, after Bolton agreed to a transfer fee of £2.63m .[12] He signed a four-year contract at the Stadium of Light after undergoing a medical.[13] Diouf said that he was happy to join Sunderland.[14] Then-manager Roy Keane said he was happy that a player who "opposition teams and supporters hate" had joined Sunderland: "El Hadji has always been the kind of player opposition teams and supporters hate. That's why we're delighted to now have him in our squad."[12] Diouf made a promising start for Sunderland but failed to score in any of his sixteen appearances.

Blackburn Rovers]

Diouf signed for Blackburn Rovers for an undisclosed fee on 30 January 2009, signing a three-and-half-year deal after just six months at the Stadium of Light, rejoining former Bolton manager Sam Allardyce at the club. He was given the number 18 shirt and scored his first goal for the club against Fulham at Craven Cottage on 11 March 2009 in a 2–1 win.[16] During the summer transfer window, Rovers manager Sam Allardyce revealed that Diouf was acquired for only £1 million.[17] Diouf scored his first home goal for Rovers at Ewood Park in the club's 3–1 victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers on 12 September 2009. On 2 January 2010, he was sent off in a 3–1 defeat to Aston Villa in the third round of the FA Cup. On 21 March 2010, Diouf scored the equalising goal against Chelsea in a 1–1 draw at Ewood Park which opened up the 2010 title race. He started the next two Premier League games against Birmingham and Burnley; he then made his fortieth appearance for the club at Fratton Park playing against bottom-of-the-league side Portsmouth in a 0–0 draw on 3 April. By the end of the 2009–10 season, he had made 27 appearances, scoring three goals. He was given number 10 for the 2010–11 season.
On 20 August 2011, Rovers manager Steve Kean confirmed that Diouf was not in his first-team plans, and that he expected him to leave before the end of the 2011–12 transfer window.[19]
On 31 August 2011 Blackburn terminated Diouf's contract by mutual consent. He had fallen out with manager Kean after returning late for pre-season training.

Loan to Ranger]

On the last day of the 2011 January transfer window, Diouf joined Scottish Premier League champions Rangers on loan until the end of the 2010–11 season. He made his debut on 2 February, coming on as a 20th minute substitute for injured team-mate Lee McCulloch during a 1–0 win over Hearts at Ibrox. He made his first start for Rangers four days later in a 2–2 draw with Celtic in the Scottish Cup. Diouf scored his first goal for Rangers on 24 February in a 2–2 draw against Sporting CP in the Europa League, netting the opening goal of the game with a header in the 20th minute. He then scored his second goal for Rangers on 13 March in a Scottish Premier League match with Kilmarnock, again scoring the first goal as Rangers won 2–1. In March 2011 Diouf was part of the Rangers team that won the Scottish League Cup after a 2–1 win over rivals Celtic. Diouf also collected an SPL winners medal as Rangers performed a comeback from two points behind Celtic to win the league by one point.

Doncaster Rovers]

In October 2011, he was handed a trial by West Ham United and their manager, Sam Allardyce, his manager at both Bolton Wanderers and Blackburn Rovers. On 28 October it was announced that Diouf would not be joining the club because of a lack of fitness and his bad reputation. Allardyce later confirmed that the depth of feeling amongst fans was taken into account in his decision not to sign the player.
On 31 October 2011, Diouf signed for Doncaster Rovers on a three-month contract. He scored his first two goals for Doncaster against Ipswich at Portman Road on 5 November 2011, earning Man of the Match honours and a 3–2 victory. He took the captains armband in a goalless draw against Watford but a training injury meant he was unable to play the following games. On 2 February 2012, Diouf signed a 6-month deal with the view to an extra year.
After Doncaster were relegated from The Championship, On 25 April Diouf was believed to have held talks with Leeds United with a view to signing him at the end of his Doncaster contract.Diouf claimed on 26 April he was very keen on moving to Leeds despite history between him and manager Neil Warnock, which previously involved Warnock calling him "lower than a sewer rat" after an incident involving Jamie Mackie.
On 19 July 2012 it was announced that Diouf would not face charges for assault after being arrested following an incident in a Manchester nightclub in April.

Leeds United]

On 9 August 2012, Diouf joined Leeds United on trial and started training with the first team. Diouf was confirmed as signing a non-contract deal with Leeds United on 11 August. Diouf was named as a substitute and made his debut as a substitute in the second half for Leeds in the first game of the season against Shrewsbury Town in the League Cup on 11 August.
Diouf made his league début for Leeds as a first half substitute in their 1–0 victory against Wolverhampton Wanderers. Diouf made his first start for Leeds in their 2–1 victory over Peterborough United on 25 August.
On 1 September, Diouf scored his first goal for Leeds against his former club Blackburn Rovers in the 3–3 draw between the two sides.[37] After the match it was announced that Diouf had signed a permanent contract at Leeds until January 2013.[38] Diouf revealed he turned down more lucrative offers from elsewhere to join Leeds permanently, and revealed he aimed to become 'a legend' at Leeds by helping them reach the Premier League.[39] Diouf put in an impressive performance for Leeds' 2–1 victory against Premiership side Everton on 25 September.[40] After the match, with Diouf impressing in his early games for Leeds, Leeds manager Neil Warnock described Diouf as his 'matador' and that Diouf had made promises to stay at the club beyond his initial 6-month contract.[41]
Diouf scored a brace against Bristol City to help earn Leeds a 3–2 victory on 29 September.[42] Diouf was named as Leeds United captain against his old side Bolton Wanderers in a 2–2 draw on 2 October. Diouf scored his 4th goal of the season on 30 October in Leeds' 3–0 League Cup win against Premier League side Southampton F.C. to help Leeds advance to the quarter-finals of the competition. Diouf scored his milestone 5th goal of the season with a penalty to help earn Leeds a 2–2 draw against Brighton on 2 November.
After much speculation regarding his contract, on 14 December Diouf signed a new 18-month deal at the club taking him until the end of the 2013/14 season.
Diouf scored his 7th goal of the season against Brighton on 27 April, however he received his first red card as a Leeds player seconds after by being sent off for making a 'gesture' towards the Brighton fans celebrating his goal. The subsequent 2 match ban means that Diouf will remain suspended for the first game of the 2013/14 season.
In May 2013, Guinea club AS Kaloum claimed to have signed Diouf, Leeds United and Diouf in an official statement however strenuously denied the claims as 'complete rubbish' and that Diouf would be playing for Leeds for the 2013/14 season. Diouf was ruled out of the entire 2013/14 pre-season due to a shin infection which meant Diouf had to rest for a period of at least 10 days.
On 15 August 2013, Reports circulated by the Yorkshire Evening Post said Diouf was made available for transfer.[
On 20 August 2013, after playing in a development squad game with Barnsley to improve his fitness, Diouf was interviewed on LUTV saying he was "very happy" at Leeds. Describing the fans likeness towards him as one of the main reasons for being at the club.

International career]

Diouf's international career started in April 2000 against Benin. He has earned 69 international caps and scored 21 goals for his country. He played for Senegal in their 2002 FIFA World Cup campaign and was elected to the World Cup All-Star team, after leading Senegal to the quarter-finals and victories over France (1–0) and Sweden (2–1). Senegal eventually lost 1–0 in extra time to Turkey. He was also part of the Senegal team who were the runners-up in the 2002 African Cup of Nations. Diouf was banned from international football for four matches in 2004 for a verbal assault on referee Ali Bujsaim.
In 2004, he was named in the FIFA 100, a list of the 125 greatest living footballers selected by Pelé in conjunction with FIFA's centenary celebrations. In October 2007, Diouf retired from international football, stating he had been frustrated by organisational problems with the side. However, Senegal coach Henryk Kasperczak announced later in the month that he would name Diouf in the next squad.
On 3 April 2009 he re-confirmed his retirement after 41 further games.
In 2011 Diouf was banned for 5 years for playing for the Senegal national side, after reacting angrily to claims that he had failed to attend a disciplinary hearing. In September 2012, The Senegal federation confirmed that Diouf's 5-year ban had been decreased and that he was available to play for the Senegal National Side again. After becoming available for the Senegal national side, in October 2012 Diouf was left out of the squad to face Côte d'Ivoire in an African Cup of Nations qualifier, Diouf proclaimed that he felt he was left out of the squad because the Senegal federation were 'scared' of him.
Diouf has twice been named the African Footballer of the Year.