Monday, 18 November 2013


                          BLACK                     SOCIAL                  HISTORY                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             The 1946 Georgia lynching was a quadruple killing that took place in the northern part of the U.S. state of Georgia in the summer of 1946. Done on a bridge in Walton and Oconee counties between Monroe and Watkinsville, the case attracted national attention. While the FBI investigated in 1946, it was unable to prosecute. New publicity in the 1990s led to a new investigation, but the case has not been solved.


On July 25, 1946, two young African American married couples were shot and killed near the Moore's Ford Bridge spanning the Apalachee River, 60 miles (97 km) east of Atlanta. George W. Dorsey (born November 1917) a veteran of World War II, had been back in the United States less than nine months after serving nearly five years in the Pacific War. He was with his wife Mae Murray Dorsey (born September 20, 1922), Roger Malcolm (born March 22, 1922) and his wife Dorothy Malcolm (born July 25, 1926), who was seven months pregnant. They were accosted by a mob of white men as they headed to their home.
J. Loy Harrison, a Caucasian man, employed the two young couples as sharecroppers on his farm. Malcolm had been jailed for having stabbed Barnette Hester, a Caucasian man, eleven days prior. Harrison drove Dorothy Malcolm and the Dorseys to Monroe and personally posted the $600 bail for Roger Malcolm to be freed on bail. Malcolm's victim was still hospitalized. As Harrison drove the two couples from the jail back to the farm, at 5:30 p.m. the car was stopped at the bridge by an armed gang numbering between 15 and 20 people.
According to Loy Harrison:
"A big man who was dressed mighty proud in a double-breasted brown suit was giving the orders. He pointed to Roger and said, 'We want that nigger.' Then he pointed to George Dorsey, my nigger, and said, 'We want you, too, Charlie.' I said, 'His name ain't Charlie, he's George.' Someone said 'Keep your damned big mouth shut. This ain't your party.'"
Silently Harrison watched. One of the women identified an assailant, and the mob took the women to a big oak tree and tied them beside their husbands. The mob fired three point-blank volleys. The coroner's estimate counted sixty shots fired at close range.
The killings captured national attention and outrage. President Harry Truman created the President's Commission on Civil Rights. His administration introduced anti-lynching legislation in Congress, but was unable to get it passed against the opposition of the southern Democratic bloc; nonetheless, new energy flowed to the African-American Civil Rights Movement. Georgia Governor Ellis Arnall offered a reward of $10,000 for information, to no avail. After the FBI interviewed nearly 3000 people in their six-month investigation, they issued 100 subpoenas. The investigation received little cooperation, no one confessed, and perpetrators were offered alibis for their whereabouts. No one was indicted for the crime and the FBI found little physical evidence. No one was brought to trial for the crime.

Grand jury investigation

U.S. District Judge T. Hoyt Davis selected and charged a 23-man jury, which included two African Americans, to hear testimony in the case on Monday December 2, 1946.At the time Governor Ellis Arnall claimed "that 15 to 20 of the mob members are known by name." The case was presented to the jury by United States District Attorney John P. Cowart and John Kelly from the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice. The judge "pointed out that federal courts have no jurisdiction over the offense of murder except under well defined conditions."
Harrison testified for six hours after Barnette Hester, the man who was stabbed by Roger Malcolm, concluded his testimony. The following Monday was the fifth day of testimony. On that day Harrison's sons Loy Jr. and Talmadge testified. Additionally, B.H. Hester, the father of Barnette, testified. Perry Dillard, Eugene Evans, Emmerson Farmer and Ridden Farmer, nearby residents to the location of the shooting, testified that day as well. The last to be questioned that day was FBI Agent George Dillard.
Tuesday, December 10, the sixth day of hearings heard ten witnesses. They were Joe Parrish; Harrison's brother-in-law, George Robert Hester and James Weldon Hester; brothers of Barnette Hester, Grady Malcom, Weyman Fletcher Malcom, Cleonius Malcom, Levy Adcock, Willie Lou Head and FBI Agent Dick Hunter.
The seventh day of testimony was Wednesday. That day six people were questioned. Among them were Mrs. Elizabeth Toler, Eugene White, Boysie Daniel and Paul Brown.
Monday's testimony was highlighted by the appearance before the grand jury of Mrs. Jesse Warwick. The wife of a Monroe minister, she testified to seeing men in at least two carloads gather on a roadside in the vicinity of Monroe at some point between the stabbing of Hester and the incident at Moore's Ford. That event was believed to have been a rehearsal for the lynching. The government intended to show planning, possibly with the knowledge of Walton county law officers and Harrison. Other witnesses that day were Monroe chief of Police Ben Dickerson; Gene Sloan, a youth from the Georgia Boys' Training School at Milledgeville, and Mrs. Moena Williams, mother of Dorothy Malcom, who said that Dorothy was killed on her twentieth birthday.
George Alvin Adcock, a resident of Monroe, was indicted by the federal grand jury for perjury. He was accused of two counts of false testimony regarding his statements on December 11, 1946. The first count alleged he denied leaving his house the day of the crime. He supposedly visited the town of Monroe that day. The second count states that he denied visiting the scene of the crime July 26. Sixteen witnesses were questioned that day, including Mrs. Powell Adcock.
After hearing nearly three weeks of testimony, the grand jury was "unable to establish the identity of any persons guilty of violating the civil rights statute of the United States."

The beating of Lamar Howard

Months later, 19-year-old Lamar Howard was attacked by two men at his job in the municipal ice house on January 1, 1947. They attempted to extract the testimony he had given to the grand jury about the Moore's Ford lynching. At about four o'clock that afternoon, James and Tom Verner walked into the municipal ice house, briefly speaking with plant manager, Will Perry. When the pair walked to where Howard was sitting, Tom Verner slapped the young man's cap onto the floor. James asked him, "What did you tell 'em down at Athens?" To which he replied he knew nothing to tell them. They started to attack him. Howard's employer, Will Perry, allegedly suggested the two "take him out in the back."
The men continued the beating while questioning Howard. The beating concluded after 10 or 15 minutes with no resistance from Howard, as he feared he would be killed. Upon the cessation of the assault, he was forced to get in his car and go home.
U.S. Attorney John P. Cowart arrested the Verner brothers and charged them with "unlawfully injuring Golden Lamar Howard because of his having testified before a federal grand jury" and "conspiring to injure" him. The Verners' $10,000 bonds were signed by H.L. Peters of Walton County who put up 316 acres (1.28 km2) of land as security.
Verner acknowledged he had beaten Golden Lamar Howard until his fists were bloody. His brother testified, as did other witnesses, who stated James Verner committed the crime for which he was charged. Despite the testimony, the jury struggled in deliberation for nearly two hours before rendering a verdict of not guilty.

Memorial committee and reopened investigation

In 1992, Clinton Adams told the FBI that he had been a witness to the murders at Moore's Ford Bridge. Only ten years old when he saw the lynching, Adams had been on the run for 45 years, fearing for his life. After extensive research resulting in her book on the case, Fire in a Canebrake (2003), reporter Laura Wexler contended Adams had "holes in his story."[19]
In 1992, The Atlanta Constitution told Adams' story and the history of the unsolved lynching. Five years later, the Oconee EnterpriseWalton Tribune, and the Athens Daily News also published accounts. With the renewed publicity, some people in the community decided to act.
In 1997 Georgia citizens established the biracial Moore's Ford Memorial Committee to commemorate the lynching and work for racial reconciliation. They have conducted a number of activities, including restoration of cemeteries where the victims were buried, erecting tombstones at the previously unmarked graves, conducting education about the events, and setting up scholarships in the names of those who died. In 1998 they held a biracial memorial service on the anniversary of the attack.
They worked with the Georgia Historical Society to ensure a state historical marker was placed near the site. It was erected on U.S. Highway 78 in 1999, on the fifty-third anniversary of the incident. The marker, 2.4 miles (3.9 km) to the west, identifies the site as the location of the last unsolved mass lynching in America. Additionally, it recognizes the 1998 memorial service. It is believed to be the first highway marker to recognize a lynching.

 Also in 1999, the Memorial Committee arranged for a military memorial service to honor George Dorsey on the anniversary of the lynching.
In 2001 then-Gov. Roy Barnes officially reopened investigation into the case with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. By 2006, the FBI had reentered the case. In June 2008, as part of the continuing investigation, the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and FBI searched an area at a farm home in Walton County near Gratis and collected material they believed related to the lynching.