Wednesday, 18 February 2015


         BLACK    SOCIAL     HISTORY                                                                                                                      

Kid Ory

Kid Ory
Birth nameEdouard Ory
Also known asEdward Ory
BornDecember 25, 1886
La Place, Louisiana, United States
DiedJanuary 23, 1973 (aged 86)
HonoluluHawaii, United States
Traditional creole
Occupation(s)bandleader, composer, promoter
InstrumentsTrombone and multi-instrumentalist, vocal
Years active1910-1971
LabelsColumbia, Okeh, Exner, Crescent, Good Time Jazz, Verve
Associated actsLouis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, King Oliver, Ma Rainy, Benny Goodman, Charles Mingus
House on Jackson Avenue, New Orleans, Ory's residence in the 1910s
Nesuhi Ertegun founded his first label,Crescent Records, for the express purpose of recording Kid Ory's Creole Jazz Band (Crescent Number 1, August 1944)
Edward "KidOry (December 25, 1886 – January 23, 1973) was a jazz trombonist and bandleader. He was born in Woodland Plantation near La Place, Louisiana.


Ory started playing music with home-made instruments in his childhood, and by his teens was leading a well-regarded band in Southeast Louisiana. He kept La Place, Louisiana, as his base of operations due to family obligations until his twenty-first birthday, when he moved his band to New Orleans, Louisiana. He was one of the most influential trombonists of early jazz.
Ory was a banjo player during his youth and it is said that his ability to play the banjo helped him develop "tailgate", a particular style of playing the trombone. In "tailgate" style the trombone plays a rhythmic line underneath the trumpets and cornets.
The house on Jackson Avenue in the picture to the right is where Buddy Bolden discovered Ory, playing his first New trombone, instead of the old civil war trombone. But his sister said he was too young to play with Bolden.
Ory had one of the best-known bands in New Orleans in the 1910s, hiring many of the great jazz musicians of the city, including cornetists Joe "King" OliverMutt Carey, and Louis Armstrong, who joined the band in 1919;[1] and clarinetists Johnny Dodds andJimmie Noone.
In 1919 he moved to Los Angeles[2]—one of a number of New Orleans musicians to do so near that time—and he recorded there in 1921 with a band that included Mutt Carey, clarinetist and pianist Dink Johnson, and string bassist Ed Garland. Garland and Carey were longtime associates who would still be playing with Ory during his 1940s comeback. While in Los Angeles Ory and his band recorded two instrumentals, "Ory's Creole Trombone" and "Society Blues", as well as a number of songs. They were the first jazz recordings made on the west coast by an African-American jazz band from New Orleans. His band recorded with the recording company Nordskog and Ory paid them for the pressings and then sold them under his own label of "Kid Ory's Sunshine Orchestra" at a store in Los Angeles called Spikes Brothers Music Store. In 1925, Ory moved to Chicago, where he was very active, working and recording with Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Oliver, Johnny Dodds, Bessie SmithMa Rainey, and many others. He mentored Benny Goodman, and later Charles Mingus.
During the Great Depression Ory retired from music and did not play again until 1943. From 1944 to about 1961 he led one of the top New Orleans style bands of the period. In addition to Mutt Carey and Ed Garland, trumpeters Alvin Alcorn and Teddy Buckner; clarinetists Darnell HowardJimmie NooneAlbert NicholasBarney Bigard, and George Probert; pianists Buster WilsonCedric Haywood, and Don Ewell; and drummer Minor Hall were among his sidemen during this period. All but Probert, Buckner, and Ewell were originally from New Orleans.
The Ory band was an important force in reviving interest in New Orleans jazz, making popular 1940s radio broadcasts—among them a number of slots on The Orson Welles Almanac program (beginning March 15, 1944).[3][4][5] In 1944–45 the group made a series of recordings on the Crescent Records label, founded by Nesuhi Ertegun for the express purpose of recording Ory's band.[6]
During the late 1940s and early 1950s, Ory and his group appeared at the Beverly Cavern in Los Angeles.
Ory retired from music in 1966 and spent his last years in Hawaii, with the devoted assistance of Trummy Young. Ory died in Honolulu.[2] He was buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California.