BLACK SOCIAL HISTORY
Early life and education
Marriage and family
Career in AME Church
Bishop and college president
- 1888, Recollections of Seventy Years, a memoir.
- 1891, The History of the A. M. E. Church, the first history of the denomination.
Legacy and honors
- Daniel Payne College, a historically black college that operated in Alabama from 1889 to 1979, was named in his honor. After the college closed, the city ofBirmingham renamed a street Daniel Payne Drive.
- The Payne Theological Seminary in Wilberforce, Ohio is named in his honor.
- A Pennsylvania State Historical Marker was installed in his honor at 239 N. Washington St. at Gettysburg College, recognizing his study there.
- He is celebrated on the Lutheran liturgical calendar