BLACK SOCIAL HISTORY
March 18, 1933
|Known for||First female African-American mayor in Mississippi|
Marriage and move
Civil rights activism
SNCC and other movements
Blackwell v. Issaquena County Board of Education
Political career and late life
Barefootin': Life Lessons from the Road to Freedom
Honors and awards
- Named as fellow of the Institute of Politics at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University
- Received Master's Degree from the University of Massachusetts in 1983
- Won the MacArthur Foundation Genius Grant in 1992
- Recipient of an honorary doctor of law from the University of Massachusetts in 1995
- The University of Massachusetts recognized Blackwell's abilities and philosophy of life-"to educate by doing and being."
- Recipient of the For My People Award, presented by Jackson State University.