- U.S. Naval Academy - 1978 (B.S. Mathematics)
- Naval Nuclear Propulsion and Submarine Officer Training - 1979
- Catholic University - 1984 (M.S. Engineering)
- Joint Maritime Tactics Course - 1999
- CAPSTONE, National Defense University - 2002
- Executive Business Course, Naval Postgraduate School - 2003
- Harvard University, JFK School of Government – Senior Executive Program in National and International Security - 2005
Awards and decorations
- Legion of Merit (five awards)
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (five awards)
- Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (two awards)
- Defense Mapping Agency Outstanding Personnel of the Year
- VADM Williams is the son of a retired Submarine Force Master Chief Petty Officer.
- VADM WIlliams has been designated as a Joint Service Officer (JSO).