Beginning of recording career
Success with Paramount records
Death and grave
Discography and awards
- Bob Dylan – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" on Bob Dylan
- Grateful Dead – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" as "One Kind Favor" on Birth of the Dead
- Merl Saunders/Jerry Garcia/John Kahn/Bil Vitt – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" as "One Kind Favor" on Keystone Encores Volume I
- John Hammond – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" as "One Kind Favor" on John Hammond Live
- B.B. King – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" on One Kind Favor
- Peter, Paul & Mary – "See That My Grave is Kept Clean," reworked as "One Kind Favor" on In Concert
- Kelly Joe Phelps – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" on Roll Away The Stone
- Counting Crows – "Mean Jumper Blues". Counting Crows lead singer Adam Duritz accidentally claimed credit for "Mean Jumper Blues" in the liner notes of the Deluxe Edition reissue of the album August And Everything After. The cover was featured as part of a selection of early demo tracks. Immediately after the error was brought to his attention, Duritz apologized in his personal blog.
- Laibach – "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" on SPECTRE
- Pat Donohue – "See that My Grave Is Kept Clean" as One Kind Favor (live on Garrison Keillor's "A Prairie Home Companion") and later released on the CD Radio Blues.
In popular culture
- In 2009 Grammy nominated R&B legends Yarbrough and Peoples were co-produced and were featured in the Off-Broadway production "Blind Lemon Blues".
- A tribute song, "My Buddy Blind Papa Lemon," was recorded for Paramount Records in 1932 by King Solomon Hill. The record was long considered lost, but one copy was finally located by John Tefteller in 2002.
- Geoff Muldaur refers to Jefferson with the song "Got To Find Blind Lemon" on the album The Secret Handshake.
- Art Evans portrays Blind Lemon in the 1976 film Leadbelly directed by Gordon Parks.
- Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds recorded the song "Blind Lemon Jefferson" on the album The Firstborn Is Dead.
- The 2010 video game Fallout: New Vegas, in one of its many downloadable add-ons ('Old World Blues'), features an AI juke-box by the name of 'Blind Diode Jefferson'. The AI claims to have once been a 'blues musician' before his music hard-drives were stripped from him. Voicing of the AI can be characterized as a Southern drawl homage to Blind Lemon Jefferson.
- In the 2003 movie Masked and Anonymous, Bobby Cupid (Luke Wilson) gives his friend Jack Fate (Bob Dylan) Blind Lemon's original guitar, on which he claims Matchbox Blues was first recorded.
- Cheech and Chong parodied Jefferson as "Blind Melon Chitlin'" on their self-titled 1971 album Cheech and Chong, their 1985 album Get Out of My Room, and in a stage routine that can be seen in their 1983 movie Still Smokin'.
- Chet Atkins calls Jefferson "one of my first finger-picking influences" in the song "Nine Pound Hammer", on the album The Atkins - Travis Traveling Show
- A practical joke played on Down Beat magazine editor Gene Lees in the late 1950s took on a life of its own and became a long-running hoax when one of his correspondents included a reference to blues legend "Blind Orange Adams" in an article and it was inadvertently published in the magazine. "Blind Orange Adams" is obviously a parody on the name "Blind Lemon Jefferson". References to the non-existent Adams appeared in numerous articles in Down Beat over the next few years.